By Larissa Ione
One of the things I love about the romance genre is that almost any male can be a hero. We love the knights, the firefighters, the SEALs, and the hot Greek accountants.
But for a long time, lovers of the paranormal didn’t have a lot in the way of, well, paranormal heroes. Every once in a while you could find a vampire book or series, but they were few and far between, and often, the vampires were so…nice. There wasn’t much – excuse the pun – bite, in the heroes.
And then, suddenly, the paranormal romance genre exploded with vampires and shapeshifters, and eventually…demons.
Now, not everyone can get into a demon hero. Let’s face it; demons have gotten a bad rap. But it’s exactly that bad rap that makes them irresistible to many as romance heroes. I mean, talk about the ultimate bad boy, right?
So what makes the demon such a fascinating hero – besides the ultimate bad boy thing? Well, I made a list of what I like about them…maybe something on the list resonates with you!
1. Well, there’s the ultimate bad boy thing…
2. Even if they reveal a soft side, you know they still have no problem decapitating some jerk who looks at their woman wrong.
3. Usually gallows humor, but still…
4. Many authors have created alternate realities and worlds in which “demons” aren’t associated with religion at all, but are simply another race of beings in the same world.
5. Demons like to party.
6. Demons don’t like to lose. And who doesn’t love a man who will stop at nothing to get what he wants – especially if what he wants is the heroine?
7. Demons come in all shapes and sizes, which is helpful for finding that perfect one.
8. Lots of…stamina.
9. When your boyfriend is a demon, no one messes with you.
10. One word: Incubi.
Oh, yes, love those demon heroes! Their moral compasses might be a little screwy (but really, there are a lot of humans like that too,) and they might be a little hot-tempered and quick to fight, and usually there’s a little evil in them…but all that just makes them that much hotter when they find a woman who knocks them on their butt and makes them see the light. Even then, a demon hero keeps his edge. He might be a big ball of mush with his female, but everyone else…look out!
So what about you? When demons first came onto the romance scene, did you jump on it, thinking, hey, demons might make GREAT heroes! Or were you wary at first?
Tell me, and you’ll be eligible to win your choice of any of my three demon books – Pleasure Unbound, Desire Unchained, or Passion Unleashed.
Thanks for visiting!
***Remember all comments counts towards the drawing for the grand-prize:
In addition, there will be one grand prize winner for the week who will win a book from each participating author, a $20 gift certificate from me from Amazon, Barnes & Noble, or Borders, and two autographed books from Kresley Cole – Dark Desires After Dusk and Kiss Of A Demon King.
All winners announced Sunday, May 24. Good Luck!***